passing the test....


While my good friend Jenn and I were basking in the warm Sunday sun, I remember something funny from my childhood......

Mostly due to the fact that I was raised by my father, I had full freedom to decorate however and whenever I desired. It was most likely in middle school that I got the urge to make-over my room. I started first by painting each wall with a different colour. Then I collected every spare mattresses in the house. Possibly inspired by The Princess and the Pea, I stacked each mattress on top of the other, totaling around five. This is how I slept for at least a year. Every night leaping up to the top, and every morning bouncing back down.

I just reread The Princess and the Pea, written by Hans Christian Anderson. If you haven't read it in a while the story goes....a drenched young lady claiming to be a princess lands at the door of a loveless prince. His family is in disbelief but so kindly offers her a bed for the night. The "princess" is thankful and takes to the room where she begins to stack mattress after mattress. As a test the mother of the prince places a pea in between the mattresses. The princess awakes and the family asks how she slept. The princess answers "awful", something hard had disturbed her sleep.

......Anderson believed that "true" noblility was not derived from an individual's birth but from their sensitivity.

Comments

Popular Posts