Transformation...



Over the last year I have been asked to define myself as an artist. I guess you could say a 'self definition' of sorts. Question such as "what fascinates you about jewelry, why jewelry, when did you know it was jewelry!! I knew that I had the answers the whole time it was just a matter of how to express what I do in metal into words. AH! This was very intimidating at first.
From a young age I can remember loving to watch my mother and aunt getting dressed for events. My aunt always had elaborate parties especially for Christmas. I have three sisters and we are the only girls in the family therefore spoiled by my aunt and uncle. We would line my aunt's bathroom talking, laughing, and most importantly getting 'put together'. I was fascinated by the process and the transformation.
Jewelry is all about the process. I am obsessed with the idea of transformation. Casting, a technique I use frequently in my jewelry is probably the best example. I start the process with injecting rubber molds with wax, invest them, and then shoot each flask with molten metal. Basically the wax turns to silver. Brilliant! I feel like Rumpelstiltskin. The raw material is converted into small components that I manipulated to create fabulous earrings, necklaces, and other jewels.
Then the transformation continues...

Comments

Popular Posts